It’s important to
have someone
you can lean on.


Sometimes, you just can’t do it alone.

You may need the help of others whose job it is to provide the support you need, if and when the time comes.

Here are a few people you might want to have available when you need information, healthcare advice, or just someone to talk to:

Chances are you’re already working with a doctor who specializes in rheumatology. He or she will closely monitor your progress, and adjust your treatment from time to time to make sure you’re getting the best care possible.
You will find physician assistants working in many areas of the doctor’s office. In training and in practice, their responsibilities lie between the nurse and doctor, performing the functions of both to some degree.
Your primary care doctor, or general practitioner, is vital to providing you with help and advice above and beyond your RA.
Nurses are a great resource and can provide assistance as you manage your RA.
Pharmacists prepare prescription medications and offer expertise in the safe use of those prescriptions. They also may conduct health and wellness screenings, provide immunizations, oversee the medications given to patients, and provide advice on healthy lifestyles.
Dietitians and nutritionists are experts in the use of food and nutrition to promote health and manage disease. They advise people on what to eat in order to lead a healthy lifestyle or achieve a specific health-related goal.
An exercise pro can help you develop fitness and exercise programs to help improve your cardiovascular function, body composition, and flexibility.

Your friends and family can also play an important role with your RA. They can:

  • Help schedule activities that you can enjoy together
  • Be there for you, so you have someone to talk to
  • Go with you to the doctor and help you ask the right questions
  • Help celebrate every victory, large and small

There are also a number of local support groups and online resources that can help, whether it’s people sharing their experiences, doctors offering advice, or groups that provide news and developments in the field of RA treatment.